Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Humble Pie

My newly planned project will be loosely structured (as if I ever really structure any of my projects), and it will be an humble, comfy quilt using a box full of earthy, homespun-like fabric scraps that I unearthed from my "stash closet." Actually, I have no "stash closet." What I do have is an accumulation of plastic bags and bins of all sizes crammed into an 8 by 12 storage room.

I am currently the 24/7 caregiver for my 94 year old mother with Alzheimer's disease. This is simply a statement of fact, not an excuse or request for empathy. In this situation, I find that I spend too much of my time in my mind, not in my life.

I'm hoping this blog will help me become more organized and focus my creative juices into tangible art rather than vicariously participating in online classes and keeping my creations in notebooks and in my head.

Speaking of online classes, if you have never visited the Joggles site, I recommend it highly. Barb and her crew have an amazing array of mixed media, doll making supplies, tools, and online classes. I've done three of the classes (each with a different instructor) and I can report them all to be excellent. I'm be participating in two more beginning in February: domino necklaces, bookmarks, and more AND distressed fish (I'll leave you guessing on that one).

I can't wait to incorporate some of the new techniques into a project to share with my friends in the Northeast Louisiana Quilt Guild. Our web page has been recently revived and can be viewed at http://www.nlqg.net/. We are an active guild with three chapters of quilters who are great cooks and love to laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Misty. But, you know, just as we all do, that the more we do with love in our heart, the more we can do. There are probably many days your Mom doesn't know you but you are the same person as is she. I think it is wonderful that you have that creative drive even if you have to put it on hold from time to time.

    ReplyDelete